Certificate in Makeup Artistry
A professional makeup artist needs a broad range of capabilities in all aspects of makeup artistry, combined with proficiency in hairstyling, beauty, and marketing. Our one-year certificate covers the skills needed for freelance or contract employment in cosmetics and fashion for the stage, screen, and all forms of media production.
Makeup artistry is an acquired skill that requires a firm foundation of tools, techniques, and application. You will gain a broad base of all makeup skills from experienced tutors.
Some of the skills covered include personal preparation, pre-production, production and continuity skills (film, TV, stage and media), workplace skills, and makeup and hair for catwalk and photography.
- Beautician services
- Cosmetic consultancy
- Fashion makeup and hairstyling
- Wig and hairpiece styling
- Photographic makeup
- Corrective and glamour makeup
- Catwalk and promotions makeup
- Makeup for performing arts
- Film and television makeup
- Character and period makeup
- Introduction to Special Effects (SFX) and Body Art
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have an IELTS score of at least 5.5 or equivalent, or pass own internal English test where applicable, see here.
- New Zealand Certificate in Makeup Artistry - Level 4
- NZQA credits on the National Qualifications Framework
2019 Intake Dates
Queen St Campus
- 28 February
- 25 March
- 18 February
Get More Info
Once you have graduated you can seek employment as a makeup artist in the following industries:
- Photographic studios
You will also be able to work in the cosmetics industry as a sales representative or technical consultant.
40 weeks including 6 weeks of holidays.
This course is offered at our Auckland City and Manukau campuses.
2018 Course Costs
- Tuition fees: $19,500
- Compulsory course costs: $1,400*
*Includes the makeup kit which is required for this course.