Diploma in Special Effects & Prosthetic Makeup Artistry
If you are passionate about film making, fashion and media production, this is the course for you! Completion of this intensive training programme will provide you with the skills you need to excel as a freelance makeup artist for catwalk, studio, advertising, film and television. You will have the added advantage of model-making, prosthetics, costume and props skills which will give you a competitive edge in the production workplace.
Alternating between the Creature Shop and the Production Design workshop the skills you gain will give you an edge in the SFX workplace.
Creature Shop Module
Designed in consultation with Weta, the Creature Shop is an industrial SFX studio where you will master the skills of SFX makeup from inspiring tutors and produce a range of SFX creations.
- Initial SFX tools and techniques
- Scar-plating and sculpting
- Research, drawing and marquette sculpture
- Model-making and prosthetics creation
- Creature fabrication
- Creation of a life-size mask
Production Design Makeup Module
Beginning in the Production Design workshop you will progress from basic instruction in makeup, costume, props, hair and wig styling for stage, screen and photography to a class project of pre-production planning and experience as backstage crew on a professional production.
- Out of kit fantasy and horror makeup
- Character and period makeup
- Body art and photographic makeup
- Makeup for stage and screen
- Hairstyling for stage and screen
- Costume, wig styling, and props
- Working to a director’s concept
- Standby makeup for film and television
- On-set and theatre protocol.
New Zealand Diploma in Arts and Design
On graduation you may seek employment as a special effects makeup artist in film, television, theatre or advertising production industries. You will also be qualified for contract or freelance employment as a SFX production makeup artist and sculptor for TV, film, stage and screen productions.
Get More Info
2019 Intake Dates
Auckland City Campus
- 14 January
- 18 March
- 15 July
40 weeks including 8 weeks of holiday.
This course is offered at our Auckland City campus.
- Be at least 17 years old.
- Have an IELTS score of at least 5.5 or equivalent, or pass own internal English test where applicable, see here.
- NCEA level 3 or equivalent study Or
New Zealand Certificate in Makeup Artistry (Level 4) or equivalent Or
Relevant experience, and;
A portfolio of 4 works displayed in images with supporting work that show a progression of ideas.
2018 Course Costs
- Tuition fees: $19,500.00
- Compulsory course costs: $1,400.00*
*Includes the special effects kit that is required for this course.