Study Fees Free with Youth Guarantee
Are you aged 16 to 19 and looking for a course where you can pick up some practical skills? The Youth Guarantee scheme gives you the chance to study free for up to one year.
Places in this programme are limited and often fill really quickly. To avoid disappointment it is best to get your application in as soon as possible!
Who is eligible?
To qualify for study under the Youth Guarantee scheme, you must:
- Be a NZ citizen or permanent resident.
- Be 16 to 19 years of age before the start of the course.*
- Be prepared to study full-time for up to one year.
- Complete an application form for the course you are interested in.
- Gain a place in that course or programme.
- Be successful in the Youth Guarantee funding interview – you’ll be interviewed once you have gained your place.
*15 year olds who hold ministry-approved early exemption from their school may also be eligible. This exemption must be in place before the course starts.
Tuition is free for students studying under the Youth Guarantee scheme.
Because the programmes are free, you will not be eligible for student loans for your fees, however:
- If you are 18 you can apply for course related costs and living costs if you meet the eligibility requirements as set out by Studylink.
- You can apply for a student allowance if you meet the eligibility requirements as set out by Studylink.
- Youth Guarantee students are eligible for financial travel support. This funding is linked to your attendance and it is administered by Student Support, not Studylink.
For information about allowances and loan options for any other costs or financial support you may need please check out the Studylink website.
If you would like to talk to someone about your eligibility and apply for a Youth Guarantee place, please contact Cut Above on 0800 288 226 or send us an enquiry below.